As 2018 inches towards a close, we’d like to extend our sincere gratitude to each and every volunteer who has joined us in the library’s mission to serve our community. If space allowed, we would happily list the name of all 250+ volunteers, from youngsters to retirees and everyone in between.
Short of that, here’s a reminder of the work that these folks do on a daily basis:
- Circulation Aide … tirelessly shelving, shelf maintenance, tracking down missing items, pulling holds requests
- Computer Coach … patiently helping patrons with their technology questions
- Friends of the Library … generously supporting library programming through fundraising and book sales
- Homebound Delivery … assuring that patrons with challenges of limited mobility may still take advantage of library services
- Homework Center … tremendous mentors, tutors and patient friends to kids from 3rd thru 12th grade
- Lafayette Kids Ready to Read … lovingly delivering materials and offering storytimes to Lafayette day care centers and preschools
- Library Board … helping us strategize, clarify and carry out the library’s mission
- Makerspace … fearless teens and adults, introducing our community to a range of exciting technologies in our brand new Studio 775
- PAWs to Read … encouraging literacy by helping Lafayette youngsters read to their trained pooches
- Processing in Cataloging and Acquisitions … preparing the never-ending flow of library materials for circulation
- Reading and Writing Buddies … big kids working with little kids to share the joys of reading and writing
- Storytime and Event Prep … from cutting out crafts to setting up, corralling kids, painting faces and so much more!
- Summer Reading … doing the essential work of carrying out the library’s legendary Summer Reading program
- Teen Collection Connection … helping us with materials selection, writing reviews and offering valuable feedback
… and more!
This generous volunteer time is invaluable in our day-to—day work, in our programming and our outreach, our customer service and in charting our course for the months and years to come. As the library’s Volunteer Coordinator, I have the pleasure of welcoming and onboarding all of these wonderful, talented people. Once engaged, our volunteers are supervised by library staff who assure the consistency and positivity of their experience. Overall, it’s quite an operation, and I am humbled and grateful for all involved.
These days, many of us are looking for a way to give back to our community, to contribute in a way that preserves the values and the personality of our growing town. As we head into the New Year, the library is committed to doing our best to continue to support our thriving volunteer program. Please consider filling out the online application and joining us as your time permits. We’d love to add you to our wonderful library volunteer team!
Scott Foley, Customer Service Manager