Many times the holiday season involves families, which at times means family complications. But really, like ’em or not, families are our roots, our past and maybe even our future.
Common Sense Media has compiled a fascinating list of kid-friendly reads about families, from preschool through teens. Read them with the kids for different takes on “the family” and get ready for the family season. Find them all in the catalog!
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
Tender story of Nana showing grandson city beauty via bus.
- The Airport Book by Lisa Brown
Fun account of family’s travel day tells all about airports.
- Gus & Me by Keith Richards
Rolling Stones guitarist’s warm, inspiring childhood memoir.
- This Is the Rope: A Story From the Great Migration by Jacqueline Woodson
Lyrical story of a rope and one family’s migration north.
- Fly Away by Patricia MacLachlan
Warm, poetic family story shows sweet sibling relationship.
- The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond by Brenda Woods
Sweet tale of biracial girl in search of lost family.
- Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate
Pitch-perfect story about boy and family facing hard times.
- The Fantastic Family Whipple by Matthew Ward
Comically creepy tale of celebrity family hit by a curse.
- Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern
Touching fourth-grade story of empathy and kindness.
- Stef Soto, Taco Queen by Jennifer Torres
Warm, funny tale of family, tacos, and middle school.
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Soaring, poignant, novel in verse hits all the right spots.
- The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis
Unforgettable 12-year-old girl battles the Great Depression.
- Sisters: Smile Series Book 2 by Raina Telgemeier
Funny, moving memoir for younger comics fans.
- Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper
Compelling, nuanced tale of loving family under segregation.
- As Brave As You by Jason Reynolds
Poignant summer adventure brims with family love and hope.
- Counting Thyme by Melanie Conklin
Sensitive, engaging tale of girl with seriously ill brother.
- Hold Fast by Blue Balliett
Touching story of resourceful girl solving a family mystery.
- Louisiana’s Way Home by Kate DiCamillo
Harrowing, heartfelt, funny tale of ’70s Southern tween.
- Rebound by Kwame Alexander
Heartfelt, soaring, fast-break story of loss and growth.
- You Bring the Distant Near by Mitali Perkins
Empowering tale of pursuing dreams, honoring heritage.
- All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater
Lovely, lyrical family story explores miracles and music.
- Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Expansive, touching saga of Aussie family’s losses, loves.
- Far from the Tree by Robin Benway
Beautifully written story about finding your family.
- Gem & Dixie by Sara Zarr
Compelling story of teen sisters neglected by their parents.
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi
Sparkling multi-ethnic reimagining of Pride and Prejudice.